Friday, October 19, 2007
Thursday, October 18, 2007
A documentary film directed by: Tamer Ezzat
Four young Egyptians take a journey on different paths to find the place they can each call “Home.” Whether it is for financial, family, religious, career or personal reasons, they search to find true belonging. For some the answer is immigration and for others the answer is right around them.
Sebae dreams of being a famous singer, but feelings of family obligation keep him in his father’s business. Myriam wants to be free to marry whomever she loves, even if he has different religious beliefs, but she is faced with opposing family values and societal norms. Hams is on a quest to find the place where she doesn’t feel like an outsider. She journeys around the globe and settles in Cairo in hopes of finally finding a place to belong. Moataz wants the simple things in life, but financially struggles to make his dream, of marrying his fiancé and starting a home together, come true.
In an attempt to find their true meaning of “home”, filmmaker Tamer Ezzat, captures their stories in moments of confrontation, reflection and everyday activities with their friends and families. These stories are not only touching, humorous and dramatic, but they are real as well.
“The Place I Call Home ... a new wave is emerging in the contemporary Egyptian cinema.”Al Arabi Newspaper (translated from Arabic)
“After a year of research, interviews, filming and editing associated with a necessary search for funds, Ezzat, the film's director, was standing in the corner of a packed hall in El Sakia as people flocked to watch his documentary The Place I Call Home.” The Daily Star Egypt (Sister of The International Herald Tribune)
Film Festivals & Awards
- Al Jezeera Documentary Film Festival 2006 (winner of the golden award)
- National Egyptian Film Festival 2006 (winner of best feature documentary)
- Arab Film Festival Rotterdam 2006 (winner of the silver hawk award)
- 10th Ismalia International Documentary and Short Film Festival 2006 (winner of the documentary filmmakers association award)
- Dubai International Film Festival 2006
- Leipzig International Film Festival 2006
- Beirut DC 2006
- Caravan of the Euro Arab Cinema 2006
- Edinburgh International Film Festival/New Cinemas of the Arab World 2007
- Sydney Arab Film Festival 2007
- Production: Myth Productions – UNESCO
- Producers: Tamer Ezzat - Michel F. Gelinas
- Director: Tamer Ezzat
- Screenplay: Nadine Shams
- Director of Photography: Sherif Helal
- Editor: Tamer Ezzat
- Sound: Tamer El Demerdash
- Music: Tamer Karawan
- Production Manager: Moataz Abdel-Wahab
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Monday, October 15, 2007
The DVD is available for purchase on Createspace, a subsidiary of Amazon: https://www.createspace.com/Store/ShowEStore.jsp?id=242120
The DVD is also available for purchase on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Place-I-Call-Home/dp/B001H55U16
Sunday, October 14, 2007
Friday, October 12, 2007
Thursday, October 11, 2007
What topics would you like to see in future Egyptian documentaries?
Many people often only know about Egypt through documentaries about "Ancient Egypt," but there is so much more to Egyptian society then what is portrayed in these documentaries. There is a modern society that is lacking in exposure.
Through the eyes of a documentary filmmaker, what would you like the world to see about Egyptian society?
Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Please share with us your questions and comments about the film, as well as sharing your own stories about your journey to find "the place you call home."
Join us on facebook and share your comments there: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=31181544102